Shopping for Clothes
Shopping for clothes is not the same experience for a man as it is for a woman. A man goes shopping because he needs something. His purpose is settled and decided in __1__. He knows what he wants,and his __2__ is to find it and buy it. All men simply walk into a shop and ask the assistant for what they want. If the shop has it in stock,the deal can be and often is completed in less than five minutes,with hardly any chat and to everyone‘s __3__.
For a man,slight problems may begin when the shop does not have what he wants. In that __4__ the salesman tries to sell the customer something else - he offers the nearest to the article required. Good salesman brings out such a substitute with __5__： "I know this jacket is not the style you want,sir,but would you like to try it for size. It __6__ to be the colour you mentioned." Few men have __7__ with this treatment,and the usual response is： "This is the right colour and may be the right size,but I should be __8__ my time and yours by trying it on."
For a woman,buying clothes is always done in the __9__ way. Her shopping is not often __10__ on need. She has never fully decided what she wants,and she is only "having a look round". She is always open to persuasion,willing to try __11__ any number of things. Uppermost in her mind is the thought of finding something that __12__ thinks suits her. Most women have an excellent sense of value and are always on the look-out for the unexpected __13__. Faced with a roomful of dresses,a woman nay easily spend an hour going from one rail to another __14__ selecting the dresses she wants to try on. It is a tiresome process,but apparently a(n) __15__one. Most dress shops provide chairs for the waiting husbands.
1. A) detail B) advance C) hurry D) full
2. A) objective B) need C) dream D) reason
3. A) sadness B) amusement C) surprise D) satisfaction
4. A) time B) event C) case D) situation
5. A) care B) skill C) attention D) interest
6. A) happens B) is C) changes D) comes
7. A) experience B) is C) interest D) patience
8. A) losing B) wasting C) spending D) giving
9. A) same B) similar C) opposite D) clever
10. A) relied B) done C) related D) based
11. A) on B) with C) by D) people
12. A) nobody B) someone C) surprise D) everyone
13. A) deal B) bargain C) surprise D) people
14. A) before B) after C) as D) by
15. A) exhausting B) boring C) enjoyable D) graceful