Fill in each blank in the passage with the most likely answer .(15 points)
A famous scientist who had made an important medical breakthrough was being interviewed. A newspaper reporter asked him why he thought he was able to be 26 more creative than the average person.
He said that it all came from a(n) 27 that occurred when he was about two years old . He was trying to 28 a bottle of milk from the refrigerator 29 he lost his grip on the slippery bottle and it fell, spilling the milk all 30 the floor.
His mother came into the kitchen. 31 yelling at him, giving him a lecture or 32 him, she said, “Robert, what a great and wonderful mess you have 33 ! I have rarely seen such a huge pool of milk. Well, the 34 has already been done. Would you like to get 35 and play in the sea of milk for a few minutes before we clean it up ?”
This scientist then remarked that it was at that moment 36 he knew he didn’t need to be 37 to make mistakes. Instead, he learned that mistakes were just 38 for learning something new, which is, after all, what 39 experiments are all about. Even if the experiment doesn’t 40 , we usually learn something from it.
26. A. still B. ever C. so much D. ever much
27. A. event B. incident C. story D. legend
28. A. take B. gain C. place D. return
29. A. where B. while C. which D. when
30. A. over B. through C. across D. on
31. A. In addition to B. In spite of C. Apart from D. Instead of
32. A. hugging B. kissing C. hating D. punishing
33. A. made B. created C. done D. produced
34. A. damage B. loss C. harm D. ruin
35. A. away B. over C. down D. up
36. A. which B. when C. that D. what
37. A. afraid B. fearful C. worried D. frightened
38. A. occasions B. situations C. opportunities D. moments
39. A. technical B. scientific C. social D. artistic
40. A. function B. operate C. work D. help