1. Tom’s father, as well as his mother, _____ in New York for a few days more.
A. asks him to stay B. asks he stays
C. ask he to stay D. asks he would stay
2. If we had known that she had planned to go abroad today, we _____ at the airport.
A. will see her off B. would have seen her off
C. would see her off D. must have seen her off
3. Living in the central Australian desert has its problems, _____obtaining water is not the least.
A. of which B. for what C. as D. whose
4. He burned all the important papers _____ that should fall into enemy’s hands.
A. unless B. so C. lest of D. for fear
5. Literature and art have a great influence _____ people’s ideology.
A. to B. on C. for D. onto
6. The departure of the train will be _____ for half an hour.
A. cancelled B. delayed C. postponed D. set off
7. But for his sister’s help, I _____ the work.
A. did not finish B. will not finish
C. could not finish D. would not have finished
8. Emphasis is laid on the necessity that all the objectives to be attained _____ into account before starting a new project.
A. be taken B. should take
C. would be taken D. have to be taken
9. Sixty per cent of television viewers chose her as their _____ actress.
A. fortunate B. preferred C. favourite D. preferable
10. Judges must be independent _____ political pressure.
A. to B. of C. under D. on