1. The work of an engineer requires intelligence _____ experience.
A. except B. plus C. with D. but
2. He stressed that it is precisely the people who _______ history.
A. invented B. discovered C. produced D. created
3. Tigers would ______ if men were allowed to shoot as many as they wished to.
A. die down B. die out C. die away D. die off
4. About 100 persons ______ for the job, but none of them got it.
A. claimed B. requested C. applied D. demanded
5. The old man was so kind that he could be ______ a murderer.
A. all but B. nothing but C. something but D. anything but
6. If you are ______ about Australian cities, just read the book written by Dr. Johnson.
A. surprised B. curious C. anxious D. mysterious
7. Most of the old people watch TV mainly to ______ time.
A. waste B. cost C. kill D. spend
8. It’s very sad when husbands and wives ______ with each other.
A. debate B. discuss C. quarrel D. argue
9. The best method to ______ this goal is to unite as many people as possible.
A. perform B. accomplish C. gain D. attach
10. In India, elephants are often used to carry heavy things ______ a long distance.
A. over B. with C. through D. in