1. She apologized for _____ the party.
A. not her being able to attend
B. her not being able to attend
C. her being able not to attend
D. her being notable to attend
2. I advised _____ , but he turned me a deaf ear.
A. him not to smoke again
B. him to smoke not again
C. him to not smoke again
D. not him to smoke again
3. Weighing five hundred pounds, _____.
A. the cupboard could not be moved.
B. she could not move the cupboard.
C. the cupboard was too heavy for one person to move.
D. the cupboard was unable to move.
4. Asked about the new play, ____.
A. his answer was confident
B. he was confidently answered
C. he answered confidently
D. his answers were confident
5. _____ black clouds covering the sky, he stopped his work and went home.
A. To see
B. Having been seeing
D. having to see
6. _____ , the inhabitants fled.
A. The city taken
B. The city having been taken
C. Having taken the city
D. The city being taken
7. _____ , he works very late at nigh.
A. Having been choosing director
B. Choosing director
C. Having chosen director
D. Being chosen director
8. Does he have difficulty _____ English?
A. to speak
9. In winter we go _____ on the hill.
B. to ski
D. for ski
10. She _____ playing volley-ball very much.
11. The reason _____ I can’t come is that I have to prepare for the coming exam.
12. She studied hard at school when she was young; _____ contributes to her success in her career.
B. so that
13. Sound waves travel in the air in much the same way _____ water waves spread on the water.
D. in which
14. I’ve got a bottle of beer, but I haven’t got anything _____ I can open it with.
15. Writers can accurately describe objects ______ have never seen.
B. if they
16. It wasn’t such a good present _____ he had promised me.
17. Perhaps the day will come _____ people will be able to breathe clean air in cities.
18. To make up an objective test, the teacher writes a series of questions, _____ has only one correct answer.
A. each of which
B. some of which
19. A higher crime rate exists in cities _____ a large percentage of unemployment.
A. where have
B. that have
C. which they have
D. that having
20. Scientists call Newton’s idea _____ gravitation reaches throughout the universe the law of universal gravitation.