1. _______, the story of Snow White appeals to many adult readers, too.
A. Though it written for children
B. Though written for children
C. Though for children written
D. It was written for children
2. _______, work songs often exhibit the song culture of a people in a fundamental form.
A. They occur where they are
B. Wherever they occur
C. Occurring where
D. Where do they occur
3. "A man was slightly injured in an accident. " This tells us that his injury was _______.
A. deadly B. very serious
C. fatal D. not serious
4. "Do you know Canada?" "No, _______ there. "
A. I've never been B. I'd never been
C. I've never gone D. I'd never gone
5. "Does anybody want an extra ticket to go to the movies? ""Who would you rather _______ with you. George or me?"
A. to go B. have go
C. have gone D. going
6. "Have you a table for two?" I asked. The waiter replied, "This _______, please. "
A. path B. line
C. way D. road
7. "Here is the money I promised, " he said, "I always _______ my promise. "
A. agree B. follow
C. make D. keep
8. "I'd like you to _______ me some clothes. " said the customer .
A. show B. see
C. explain D. provide
9. "I'm not going to buy the book. " "___________. It's too expensive. "
A. I don't either B. Neither am I
C. So am I D. I'm not, too
10. "John isn't here now. " "_______ left by the back door?"
A. Must he have B. Might he have
C. Had he D. Should he have
11. "Michael left for California this morning. " "Oh, I thought he _______until next week. "
A. hadn't been going B. isn't going
C. won't be going D. wasn't going
12. "Not until science became prominent _______ be abolished", some people argue.
A. did slavery come to B. slavery to
C. had slavery come to D. that slavery came to
13. "To say is one thing, and to do is another. " _______ the old saying goes.
A. like B. as
C. for D. with
14. " We're late. The play has started." "I wonder how long ago _________."
A. did it begin B. it began
C. was it beginning D. it has begun
15. "Where can I find Jim?" "He is _______ his work. He won't leave the lab until 6:00 p. m. "
A. on B. over
C. at D. under
16. A _______ of the long report by the budget committee was submitted to the mayor for approval.
A. shorthand B. scheme
C. schedule D. sketch
17. A completely new situation will _______ when the examination system comes into existence.
A. rise B. arise
C. raise D. arouse
18. A Dream of the Red Chamber is said _______ into dozens of languages in the last decade.
A. to have been translated B. to translate
C. to be translated D. to have translated
19. It’s urgent that a meeting _____ before the final decision is made.
A. will be arranged B. must be arranged
C. be arranged D. would be arranged
20. No one doubts _____ it is true.
A. whether B. if
C. that D. what