1. The Department is also deeply _____ in various improvement schemes.
2. Keys should never be hidden around the house since thieves _____ know where to look.
3. The boy had a _____ escape when he ran across the road in front of the bus.
4. Do you mind if I _____ with my work while you are getting tea ready.
A. get through
B. turn to
C. carry on
D. come on
5. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning _____ traffic jam.
A. in line with
B. in case of
C. for the sake of
D. at the risk of
6. The finance minister has not been so _____ since he raised taxes to such a high level.
r B. well-known
7. It is wrong for someone in such a high _____ in the government to behave too badly in public.
n B. position
8. We all knew from the very _____ that the plan would fail.
9. He looked rather untidy as there were two buttons _____ from his coat.
10. Lawyers often make higher _____ for their work than they should.
11. A good many houses _______ knocked down by the earthquake.
A. was B. were
C. is D. are
12. A good teacher must know how to _______ his ideas.
A. convey B. display
C. consult D. confront
13. A good teacher should not confront his pupils _______ too much information in one lesson.
A. by B. with
C. from D. about
14. A large part of human activity, particularly in relation to the environment, is _______ conditions or events.
A. in response to B. in favor of
C. in contrast to D. in excess of
15. A love marriage, however, does not necessarily _______ much sharing of interests and responsibilities.
A. take over B. result in
C. hold on D. keep to
16. A man escaped from the prison last night. It was a long time _______ the guards discovered what had happened.
A. before B. until
C. since D. when
17. A man has to make _______ for his old age by putting aside enough money to live on when old.
A. supply B. assurance
C. provision D. adjustment
18. A neat letter improves your chances of a favorable _______.
A. circumstance B. request
C. reception D. response
19. A new technique _______, the yields as a whole increased by 20 percent.
A. working out B. having worked out
C. having been worked out D. to have been worked out
20. A person who makes wise decisions has _______.
A. a good brain B. a good intention
C. good judgement D. good imagination