As emergency efforts at an earthquake-struck region of China shifted from rescue to recovery on Monday, scrutiny is turning to whether Chinese officials have learned the costly lessons from five years before, when an even more devastating quake showed construction flaws in buildings and schools that contributed to the deaths of thousands.
周一,随着中国四川省芦山县地震灾区的紧急行动从救援转向恢复,人们开始严格审视中国官员是否已经从五年前的惨痛经历中吸取了教训。当时,一次破坏力更强的地震发生后,建筑物和学校房屋的质量缺陷导致数千人死亡。
Authorities on Monday raised the death toll from Saturday morning's quake in southwestern Sichuan province by six, to at least 192, with more than 11,000 injured and 23 missing. The temblor was measured by China's earthquake administration at magnitude 7.0 and by the U.S. Geological Survey at 6.6.
周一,根据有关部门的数据,上周六早上发生的地震的遇难人数又增加了六人,达到至少192人,超过1.1万人受伤,23人失踪。中国地震监测部门称此次地震为7.0级,美国地质调查局(U.S. Geological Survey)测量到的震级为6.6级。
Officials said they were working to restore roads and inspect the safety of public buildings.
官员们说,他们正在努力修复道路,检查公共建筑的安全。
Still, it wasn't clear on Monday whether authorities had reached all parts of the stricken area. 'I fear the number of people killed might increase, unfortunately,' said Walter J. Ammann, president and chief executive of Global Risk Forum, a Davos, Switzerland, foundation focused on risk reduction in disasters, based on the current ratio of dead to injured.
四川雅安地震尽管如此,周一尚不清楚有关部门的救援人员是否已经抵达了所有受灾地区。瑞士达沃斯全球风险论坛(Global Risk Forum)的总裁兼首席执行长阿曼(Walter J. Ammann)说:根据目前的遇难者和受伤者的人数比例,我担心死亡人数还会增长。全球风险论坛是一家专注于降低灾难风险的基金会。

Rescue personnel continued to pour into the county of Lushan, the quake's epicenter, leading to crowding on the damaged roads leading to the area. By Monday, many of the injured had been moved to regional hospitals, leaving local residents who escaped harm to start rebuilding their lives in makeshift roadside accommodations.
大量救援人员不断涌入此次地震的震中芦山县,导致通向该地区的受损道路上出现拥堵。截至周一,许多伤者已经被转移到地区医院,未受伤的当地居民开始在路边的临时住所重建他们的生活。
Just outside downtown Lushan, a 40-year-old migrant worker named Le Zongwen cleared away beams from his devastated house. One wall had collapsed onto his animal pen, killing six pigs and leaving only one pregnant sow, he said. Next to the wreckage, flies crawled over a dead pig.
就在芦山县的中心城区外,40岁的农民工乐宗文(音)从倒塌的房屋中清理房梁。他说,一面 倒下后砸中了他的猪圈,导致六头猪死亡,只剩下一头怀孕的母猪。在这片废墟旁边,一头死猪的身上爬满了苍蝇。
Rebuilding his two-story, red-brick home would cost at least 300,000 to 400,000 yuan, or roughly $40,000 to $65,000, he estimated. 'We need to rely on ourselves,' he said. 'What's the use of putting your hope in the local government?'
在四川省雅安市发生强烈地震后,救援人员在机械难以到达的地方徒手展开救援。视频中,救援人员从房屋废墟下救出数名幸存者。他估计,重建他的二层砖房需要至少30万到40万元人民币(约4万到6.5万美元左右)。他说:我们得靠自己。指望地方政府有什么用?
Zhang Niying, a resident of Jinhua village in Lushan, stewed a pan of beef and potatoes outside her wrecked house. She was at the market when the quake struck, she said, and watched from a distance as her house and others fell down. 'It's so heartbreaking to see your own house falling down, but I couldn't do anything,' she said.
在被地震损毁的房屋外,芦山县金花村的张妮英(音)炖了一锅土豆牛肉。她说,地震发生时她在市场上,隔着一段距离亲眼看到自己的房子和其他房屋倒塌时的景象。她说:看到自己的房子倒塌真的很心痛,但是我无能为力。
'I have to rely on the government to give us some help,' she added. 'That bothers me most. But I don't know what else to do rather than wait.'
她补充说:我需要政府给我们一些帮助。这是我最担心的。但是除了等待,我不知道还能做什么。
Perhaps mindful of public discontent over responses to previous disasters, officials appeared to go to extra lengths to meet locals' needs. Bottled water was plentiful and water trucks were driving through the area. The official Xinhua news agency said radio and television service were restored to Lushan on Monday. Official visitors since Sunday included Vice Premier Wang Yang and Vice Minister of Public Security Huang Ming.
或许是公众对此前几次救灾响应的不满令有关官员印象深刻,此次地震官员看来在极力满足当地需求。瓶装水非常充足,运水的卡车穿行于这一区域。新华社报道说,周一芦山的广播电视服务已经恢复。自周日以来到地震灾区视察的官员包括国务院副总理汪洋和公安部副部长黄明。
State media also emphasized the condition of local schools─a sensitive topic in China following the 2008 earthquake that struck another, nearby part of Sichuan province. That quake killed 5,335 students among the total of more than 80,000, with outraged parents blaming negligent local officials and incompetent contractors. Chinese authorities in the past have detained or punished some people who have been critical of the government's response to the school issue, including activist Tan Zuoren and artist Ai Weiwei. Three years ago, Mr. Tan was sentenced to five years in prison for incitement of subversion.
官方媒体也强调了当地学校的情况,这是2008年的地震后的一个敏感话题。那场地震袭击了同属四川的芦山附近县市,导致5,335名学生丧生,死亡总人数超过8万。愤怒的家长指责玩忽职守的地方官员和不合格的承包商。中国政府自那以来拘留或惩罚了一些批评政府对学校问题的响应的人士,其中包括活动人士谭作人和艺术家艾未未。三年前,谭作人因“煽动颠覆国家政权罪”被判入狱五年。
On Sunday the state-run China News Agency said a middle school in the nearby town of Baoxing had been heavily damaged. It wasn't clear whether anyone had been injured. In Lushan, the local middle school appeared to be little damaged and rescue workers were using it as a makeshift hospital.
周日,国有媒体中国新闻社说,芦山附近宝兴县一所中学遭严重损坏。目前还不清楚是否有人受伤。在芦山,当地中学似乎基本没有损毁,救援人员将这所中学作为临时医院。
Critics of Chinese building practices after the 2008 quake cautioned that early reports could be misleading, because worse damage could be found as rescue workers report back from different regions.
2008年地震后对中国建筑业种种做法提出批评的人告诫说,前期报告可能具有误导性。因为随着救援人员从不同地区发回报告,我们可能发现更为严重的受灾情况。
Still, many were cautiously optimistic. 'I haven't seen any school buildings collapse this time,' said Chen Baosheng, a professor at Tongji University in Shanghai who was critical of school-building practices following the 2008 quake. 'Most of the buildings that collapsed have been rural buildings that are of very bad quality and not fit for habitation.'
尽管如此,很多人还是持谨慎乐观态度。上海同济大学教授、在2008年地震后曾批评校舍建筑质量的陈保胜说,这一次我还未看到任何校舍倒塌。倒塌的大部分建筑都是农村房屋,这些房子质量很差,不适合居住。
'The number of collapsed buildings this time is less, and most are old houses that were built long before,' added Wang Ruheng, dean of the school of civil engineering and architecture at Southwest University of Science and Technology in the city of Mianyang, in Sichuan province.
位于四川绵阳的西南科技大学土木工程与建筑学院院长王汝恒说,这次地震中倒塌的建筑数量下降,倒塌的房屋大部分是很早以前修建的房子。
After the 2008 quake, Chinese officials vowed to improve safety in school buildings and other official structures, through a three-year program. Among the efforts, Chinese officials ordered new buildings to use concrete reinforced with steel, while older buildings were to be retrofitted with reinforced concrete and masonry bricks. Previously, many buildings were made of concrete slabs and beams, which are less able to resist the horizontal motion of a powerful earthquake, experts say.
2008年地震过后,中国官员誓言通过一个为期三年的计划提高校舍和其它官方建筑的安全。为此采取的举措包括:中国官员下令新建筑使用以钢筋加固的混凝土,老建筑则用钢筋混凝土和砖石翻新。专家说,以前很多建筑是用混凝土板和横梁建成,其抵御震级较高地震带来的水平运动的能力较弱。
'They have done a substantial amount of work retrofitting older buildings,' said Mr. Ammann, of GRF Davos, who inspected school damage in China following the 2008 quake.
达沃斯全球风险论坛的阿曼说,中国为改造旧建筑做了大量工作。在2008年地震后阿曼曾检查学校的受损情况。
In Lushan, Ma Yiqiang, a local Communist Party publicity official, said the standard of design for public buildings had risen since the 2008 quake, leading to cracks and light damage but leaving them standing. 'There might be some cracks, but they are seldom totally damaged,' Mr. Ma said.
芦山县委宣传部长马毅强说,自2008年地震发生以来,公共建筑的设计标准已经提高。所以此次地震中很多建筑只是出现裂缝和轻微受损。他说,可能有一些裂缝,但很少出现完全损毁的情况。